Just when you think…oh never mind.
Ann’s up in the BBQ area doing some sewing to repair some of our canvas stuff. It’s easier to spread everything out on the tables and now that we’re back in the US we can use our sewing machine off the boat (120 volt here – 220volt everywhere else in the South Pacific).
So, the last thing on my list was emptying the lazarette to do a couple projects. Re-attach the corroded leads on the hydro-generator and check the fluid level on the transmission. While down there I notice a fine salt film covering the transmission. Uh, oh…I turned on the engine to see what was going on and saw saltwater bubbling out of the exhaust water mixer. This is the set of pipes that pass saltwater through engine baffles for cooling and then pass it out through the engine exhaust. Crap! This area is very difficult to get into much less use tools in. Very cramped and right now down in the lazarette it’s gotta be 100 degrees! Anyway, it has to be fixed so here’s a look at the problem.
It’s always a bit dishearting to find “new projects” like this, but at the same time this was a big problem just waiting to cause a major failure, so I’m glad I found it here where it’s relatively easy to fix.
The update is that I took it to a local welder. He tried to weld the pin-hole and a broken weld on one of the pipes, but the material was toast and wouldn’t hold together. So…now we’re waiting for some stainless steel pipe which should arrive on Monday and probably a very large bill. Sigh.
Just read this post anytime you fantasize about owning your own boat, then go rent one for the day, have fun and go home knowing that the maintenance is someone else’s problem 😉